Sunday, May 8, 2011

May 8, 2011--Thor--the thunder is really in the storm of our souls.

So, "Thor" is probably not the most predictable subject matter for me, but I find myself very contemplative about soul-searching these days, and I often locate nuggets of the same effort in odd places.

Obviously, on the surface of things, "Thor" is an action-packed, special effects power punch with a beautiful leading man. But, interestingly, I found in "Thor" a common struggle. John Lennon once said "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." The plot thread of "Thor" is a perfect representation of Lennon's quote in action.

Despite the presence of his brother Loki, Thor reaches adulthood drawing the foregone conclusion that he will replace his father as king. His whole existence centers around his pride as a warrior and a future king. The thought never crosses his mind that he could fail, and everyone around him feeds into his arrogance and presumption. Everything he has lived and planned for comes crashing in around him, and he finds himself set adrift, exiled and lost.

If we reflect on ourselves with honesty, many of us have probably faced such failures in our own lives. It's the failure of confidence and pride gone awry. That's not to say that I advocate for us to stay within our shells and never take any risks, but as Thor learns, the hard way, everything we do in our pursuit of the foregone conclusion should be weighed and measured carefully--and then meted out with thought and caution.

At the risk of sounding paranoid, there is always someone or something watching us more closely than we are watching ourselves, and waiting for our missteps. If we lose ourselves in our own glory, we truly lose ourselves, no matter how pure our intentions. We find ourselves the monarch of our own undoing.

It can be difficult to recognize within ourselves the possibility that our very convictions make us such easy targets for self-sabotage and the whims of others. It can be difficult to let go of those pieces of ourselves that we have collected in our pursuit of the foregone conclusion. Isn't it natural to cling to the things that gave us the power of our beings--like a hammer? Isn't it difficult, sometimes, to understand that sometimes, our very makeup is the weight, impossible to lift?

I've been the victim of foregone conclusion multiple times, and at multiple hands. Each time, I believed myself to be certain of who I was and where I was going in my life, only to be gravely disappointed. I think all of us have been there. The difficulty is finding what it is we are supposed to learn from our losses. Sometimes, I feel I must be one of the most arrogant people on the face of this earth. Either that, it's supposed to take me a lifetime to figure all of it out.

I guess I'm still searching for my "hammer."

http://youtu.be/eLOqEpvpvUk

No comments:

Post a Comment